Here is what you'll need!
Season the Chicken with kosher salt and pepper and sprinkle of baking powder.
Chicken 6 pcs
Buttermilk 1 cup
Hot sauce 1 tbsp (optional)
Plain flour 1 cup
Cornstarch 3 tbsp
Onion powder 1.5 tsp
Garlic powder 1.5 tsp
Five spices 1 tsp
Cayenne pepper 1 tsp
Paprika 1 tsp
Salt to taste (1 tsp approx)
For Gravy Chicken stock 1 cube
Water 3 cups
Add 3 tbsp flour mixture to thicken the gravy.
1. Mix salt, black pepper, and baking powder in a small bowl. Season chicken all over with salt mixture . Chill for 1 hr to 4 hr
2. Whisk egg, buttermilk, hot sauce in a bowl
3. Whisk flour, cornstarch, onion powder, garlic powder, five spices powder, cayenne pepper, paprika (optional) and salt in another bowl .
4. Dredge chicken in flour mixture, turning to coat and packing into crevices. Shake to remove excess; return to rack. Pour 3 Tbsp. buttermilk mixture into flour mixture and work in with your fingers. Dip chicken into remaining buttermilk mixture, allow excess to drip off, then pack moistened flour mixture firmly onto chicken. Gently shake off excess; return to rack. Chill at least 30 minutes and up to 12 hours.
5. Pour oil into a large heavy pot fitted with thermometer to come halfway up sides. Heat over medium-high until thermometer registers 350°. Working in 2 batches, fry chicken, turning after 4-5 min and adjusting heat to maintain temperature, until deep golden brown, 10-12 minutes per batch. Transfer to a wire rack set over paper towels to drain.