Been trying to find the best recipe for this and I think we've finally found the one!
5 Chicken legs
1 tsp salt
1 tsp ginger paste
4 tbsp ghee
3 tbsp thinly sliced onion
3 small cinnamon sticks
¾ cup onion paste
red chili pinch, kashmiri
2 tbsp nut paste (almond or cashew)
1½ tbsp poppy seed paste
½ cup water
¼ tsp salt
½ cup plain yoghurt (hung)
¼ tsp sugar
½ tbsp soaked yellow raisins
1 tsp black cardamom powder
1. Firstly, in each chicken leg, carefully score halfway through the surface of the body (4-5 score on each chicken).
2. Then, add in salt and ginger paste; use your hands to mix the ingredients to all parts of the chicken.
3. In a pan, add in ghee and use a spatula to spread the ghee around the dry top parts of the pan.
4. Turn on the heat and add in the chicken legs - fry for 1 to 2 minutes and then take the chicken out of the pan.
5. In the same pan, add in the sliced onions, cardamom, cloves and cinnamon sticks - mix.
6. Next, add in onion paste and saute for 8 minutes - add a small amount of water if needed.
7. After 8 minutes, add in the chicken legs and use your spatula to mix the onion paste carefully and properly around all areas of the chicken.
8. Add a pinch of red chili and saute for 5 minutes.
9. Then put in nut paste, poppy seed paste and half a cup of water; place the pan lid on top and let it simmer for 5 minutes on low medium heat.
10. Use your spatula to mix the chicken around, and sprinkle some salt on top for taste.
11. Then, add another quarter cup of water, followed by plain yoghurt and sugar.
12. Again, mix all the ingredients in together thoroughly and let it cook for 20 minutes on medium heat - stir occasionally.
13. After 20 minutes, sprinkle raisins on top, followed by some black cardamom powder.
14. Stir together and cook for another 5 minutes on low heat.
15. Lastly, sprinkle fried onions on top.
16. Your delicious chicken walima is now ready to eat and enjoy with family and friends!