A popular family favorite Eid special!
¼ cup kalijeera or basmati rice
6 cups of milk
½ cup milk powder + 2 tbsp milk
½ cup sugar + 1 tbsp
½ tsp cardamom
For caramel topping:
2 tbsp sugar
1 tbsp water
½ tsp lime juice
1. Firstly, pour the cup of basmati/kalijeera rice into a bowl, add water and let the rice soak for 30 minutes.
2. After 30 minutes, pour the water out of the bowl, and use a pestle grinder to grind the rice coarsely.
3. After grinding, the rice should be of a soft consistency.
4. In a separate pan, pour in 6 cups of milk followed by the rice - use a spatula to mix thoroughly.
5. Simmer for 35- 40 minutes on low medium heat - stir continuously.
6. In a small bowl of milk powder, add 2 tbsp of milk and mix well together.
7. Pour this mixture into the pan, and add sugar - stir well using a spatula until a thicker consistency is formed.
8. Next, add cardamom, mix, then turn off the heat.
9. Add a microscopic pinch of salt and a few drops of kewra and rose water - mix.
10. Pour the kheer mixture into pots, and let cool.
11. In another separate pan, add sugar, water and lime juice - mix until it becomes a light thicker brown coloured consistency.
12. Drizzle the mixture on the top of the kheer pots.
13. Sprinkle any toppings you want (e.g. nuts, raisins).
14. Your desert is ready to eat !