Delicious Chicken Chukka which is so fun and easy to make!
1kg chicken (curry cut)
2 tbsp plain yoghurt
1¼ tsp salt
¼ tsp turmeric ½ tsp fennel powder 2 tsp kashmiri red chilli
2 tsp coriander
¾ tsp garam masala 2 tsp cooking oil
1 cup cooking oil
1¼ cups onion (to fry in batches)
10-12 curry leaves
3 green chillies
1½ tbsp crushed ginger
4 large garlic cloves (crushed)
1 cup tomato (roughly chopped)
salt (a pinch)
1¼ cups fried onion
¼ cup of water (if needed) ¾ tsp pepper
1. Place the curry cut chicken into a bowl and add plain yoghurt, salt, turmeric, fennel powder, kashmiri red chilli, coriander and garam masala.
2. Drizzle cooking oil into the bowl, all over the chicken.
3. Using your hand, mix the chicken, herbs and spices all together until the chicken pieces have been fully covered by the mixture.
4. Place a lid on top of the bowl, and leave the chicken aside ready for later use.
5. Add cooking oil to a pan.
6. Fry batches of onions in the oil until the onions turn into a golden color, on medium high heat.
7. Take out the last batch of onions, and leave them all on a plate aside.
8. Remove excess oil from the pan, however make sure to leave a little.
9. Add curry leaves, green chillies, ginger and garlic to the pan - stir well.
10. Add chopped tomatoes and keep stirring.
11. Add a pinch of salt - mix well.
12. Place the chicken one by one into the pan and mix well.
13. Saute for 5 minutes on high heat.
14. Cook for 25 minutes on low heat - stir occasionally.
15. After 25 minutes, take off the lid and stir the chicken well.
16. Sprinkle the fried onions all over the chicken and give a quick mix.
17. Add water if needed.
18. Add pepper for taste/flavour.
19. Your food is ready!