The pictures just don't do it justice, so flavorful
2 cups atta/whole wheat
½ tsp salt
1 tsp cooking oil
1 cup room temperature water
1½ cups finely chopped onion
1 tsp roasted and crushed coriander
½ tsp roasted cumin
½ tsp roasted chili flakes
¼ tsp garam masala
¼ tsp ajwain/ radhuni/ caraway
3 finely chopped green chili
3 tbsp finely chopped coriander
¼ tsp salt + pinch
pinch of flour
1. In a bowl, add whole wheat, salt and cooking oil - mix together using your hand.
2. Then, add in water and knead thoroughly until it becomes a soft dough - 5 to 10 minutes.
3. Drizzle some oil onto your palm, and lightly rub onto the ball of dough - let it rest for 30 minutes.
4. Next, in a separate bowl, put in finely chopped onion, crushed and roasted coriander, roasted cumin and roasted chili flakes.
5. Then add garam masala, ajwain, chopped green chili, chopped coriander, and a pinch of salt; mix everything together thoroughly, and then add another tsp of salt.
6. Bring out the dough, and separate into 6 pieces, rolled into a ball shape.
7. Using your fingers and hands, lightly flatten out the balls until they become a flatter circle shaped base.
8. Use your palm to create a little space for where you can put in the filling (that was previously chopped and prepared).
9. After putting in the filling, use your hands to shape the dough into a ball, and use your fingertips to tightly seal the edges; it should now be a round shaped ball.
10. Next, lightly flatten down the dough ball using your palm - do this for each and every single ball, then let them rest for 5 minutes.
11. After the dough has rested, sprinkle flour onto a surface and place the dough on top (make sure to flip it so that all sides have been covered).
12. Then use a rolling pin to flatten the dough out - it should now become a flatbread (porota).
13. Place the porota onto a pan (each one by one), and let it fry for 4-5 minutes, on low medium heat.
14. Whilst frying, add in ghee to allow the porota to become crispy and delicious.
15. Your yummy onion porota is now ready to eat!