Here is what you'll need!
Chicken 1.5 kg
Cooking oil 4 tbsp (use the oil that was used for making fried onions/beresta)
Salt 1.5 tsp (to taste)
Lime juice 1 tbsp
Ginger paste 1 tbsp
Garlic paste 1 tbsp
Green chili paste 1 tbsp (3-4 pcs)
Turmeric powder 1/2 tsp
Red chili powder 1 tsp
Biryani Masala 1 tbsp (https://youtu.be/RZ-sNpAMos0)
Plain yogurt 3 tbsp
Crushed Fried onions 1/2 cup
Mint leaves 2 tbsp
Coriander leaves 2 tbsp
Ghee 1.5 tbsp
Basmati rice 4 cups
Cinnamon sticks 3
Shah jeera 1 tsp
1. In a mixing bowl add chicken, salt , lime juice , garlic ginger paste, green chili paste , turmeric powder, red chili powder, biryani masala (or garam masala), plain yogurt , crushed fried onions , mint leaves ,coriander leaves , and ghee. Mix well and marinate for 1-2 hrs.
2. Heat a non-stick pan with 4 tablespoon of oil (from fried onions), add the chicken saute and cook for 30 min.
3. Heat 6-7 cups of water in a pot. Add oil, whole spices and shahi jeera. Add rice and cook till it is 80% done.
4. Layer the cooked rice evenly, sprinkle fried onions, mint over the chicken. Pour saffron milk and ghee.
6. Cover the pot with a foil to trap the steam or dum. Then cover with a tight and heavy lid.
7. Place a thick griddle on stove. Set the flame to medium to high for 5 min.
8. Reduce the flame to lowest setting and cook remainder 25 min on low heat.
9. Garnish with fresh chopped mint and coriander leaves.