Here are some essential spice mix (garam masala, chaat masala and ap masala) recipes for your pantry
3 quick and easy spice mix recipes!
Ingredients 1 (Garam Masala):
2 tsp cardamom (40 pcs), seeds only
2 tbsp cumin, 22g
2 tbsp coriander, 12g
1tbsp pepper, 9g
1½ tsp cloves, 50 pcs
2 pcs bay leaves
1 blade mace
¼ tsp salt
Instructions 1 (Garam Masala):
1. Using a pestle and mortar, lightly crush the cardamom and then take out the seeds.
2. In a pan, add cumin, coriander, pepper, cloves and cinnamon - stir, and then add in the previously crushed cardamom seeds.
3. Let this toast until fragrant (1 minute 30 seconds), then add in bay leaves and stir.
4. After this, transfer the mixture onto a plate, and let it cool.
5. Using a crusher, crush nutmeg into small pieces and then use your fingers to tear the mace into smaller pieces - place onto the plate and stir.
6. Also, break the cinnamon into smaller pieces, sprinkle some salt and then transfer the mixture into a blender - blend for approximately 2 minutes.
7. After blending, your garam masala is ready!
Ingredients 2 (Chaat Masala):
1 tsp coriander
3 tsp cumin
2 tsp fennel seeds
1 tsp pepper
¼ tsp carom seeds/ ajwain
1 tsp kashmiri red chili
1½ tsp dried mango powder
¾ tsp sugar
½ tsp black salt/ bit lobon
1⁄8 tsp salt
Instructions 2 (Chaat Masala):
1. In a pan, add coriander, cumin, fennel seeds, pepper and carom seeds - stir and toast until fragrant (1 minute 30 seconds).
2. Transfer onto a plate and let it cool.
3. After it has cooled, place the mixture into a blender and add kashmiri red chilli, dried mango powder, sugar and black salt - grind the mixture.
4. Halfway through grinding the mixture in the blender, add a sprinkle of salt, and carry on blending for 1 - 2 minutes.
5. After blending, your chaat masala is ready!
Ingredients 3 (Bangla 5 All Purpose Spice Blend):
2¼ tsp coriander
1½ tsp cumin
1 bay leaf
2 cardamom - seeds only
1 small cinnamon stick
2 dry red chili
Instructions 3 (Bangla 5 All Purpose Spice Blend):
1. In a pan, add coriander and cumin - stir using a spatula.
2. Next, add in the bay leaf, cloves, cardamom seeds, a cinnamon stick and the dry red chilis - mix everything together well.
3. Place the mixture into the blender, and allow it to grind for 1 - 2 minutes.
4. Your all purpose spice blend is now ready to use!