Chicken 1 kg
Onion paste 1/2 cup
Yogurt 1/2 cup
Ginger paste 1 tsp, Garlic paste 1/2 tsp
Green chili paste 1 tbsp
Poppy seeds paste 1 tsp
Nut paste 1 tbsp
Black pepper powder 1 tsp
Coriander powder 1 tsp, Garam masala 1/2 tsp
Ketchup 1 tbsp
Mace powder 1/8 tsp, Nutmeg powder 1/8 tsp
Sliced onion 1 cup
Whole garam masala
Milk 1 cup
Rose water and Kewra water
1. In a bowl mix onion paste, yogurt, ginger-garlic paste, green chili paste, poppy seeds paste, nut paste, ground black pepper , coriander powder, garam masala, ketchup, nutmeg -mace powder , salt and fried onion. Mix well and set aside.
2. In a separate bowl marinade the chicken pieces (scored -cut lightly into the meat ) with salt for 10-30 min
3. Heat 2 tbsp of oil and 1 tbsp of ghee and make fried onion (beresta)
4. Use the same oil to fry the chicken pieces lightly in medium heat (3 min each side) you may need to fry the chicken pieces in 2 batches.
5. Remove the chicken from the pan and set aside.
6. In the same pan add whole garam masala, shah jeera and bay leaves. Saute until fragrant 1-2 min.
7. Add the gravy mix to the pan and saute until oil separates and appears on top.
8. Bring the chicken to the pan and fry them over medium heat for 10 min.
9. Cover and cook for another 10 min, stir occasionally to avoid meat from burning or sticking.
10. Now add the milk and cook for another 20 min over low heat.
11. Garnish with fried onion and rose-kewra water (few drops)
12. Enjoy with your favorite plain pulao !